Our previous article was aimed at helping you transact in a quick and easy manner, with one-two-three transacting with FSM. Continuing our series on helping you become a self-reliant investor, this article talks about what comes after you’ve transacted – and how FSM’s portfolio management module can help.
Managing your investments involves tracking and managing the following:
Fundsupermart.com’s portfolio management module - My Investments - offers you a single window to perform all these activities with complete ease!
You can access the ‘My Investments’ module by clicking on the My Investments menu on the home page. The View Holdings page is displayed by default and the menu lists the other options.
As an investor, it is crucial for you to have a holistic view of all your investments and the current profit/loss positions for the same. Without this it is not possible to take timely decisions and gain the most from your portfolio. FSM offers the following features for holdings management:
- View Holdings: Consolidated view of all mutual fund units purchased through FSM
- Tracking Alerts and Charting: Tools that inform you of any critical change in the performance of your holdings
- My Other Investments: Option to add your other investments – mutual funds, stocks and other investments - to your account on FSM to allow consolidated view and tracking of your portfolio
1. View Holdings
The Holdings table gives you an overview of the funds you hold, the cost of purchase, the current market value, and profit/loss till date. Dividends received by you are also reflected.
The following features of this page aid your Holdings Management activities:
- The Cost column always shows you the average cost of the mutual fund units purchased. Therefore, if you currently hold 100 units of fund A, of which you purchased 50 units at NAV Rs. 12 and 50 units at Rs. 10, the cost of your units is shown as Rs. 11. For disciplined, systematic investors, comparing the average cost with the current NAV of the fund is a handy tool to control their profit/loss on the investment. Read more on the benefits of ‘Rupee Cost Averaging’ in our article on systematic investing.
- The Dividends column helps you keep track of the dividends received as well as reinvested in your funds (based on the plan you have opted for). As soon as a fund declares a dividend, this information is reflected in your holdings and the profit/loss figure is updated accordingly – you don’t need to manually keep track of the same.
- The Profit/Loss figure for each of your holdings is updated daily, ensuring that you are able to make timely decisions about your investments. Monitor your profit/loss figure regularly so you can book your profits or stop your losses in time.
You can also choose to purchase additional units of the currently held funds from this table.
2. Tracking Alerts and Charting
The Track and Chart tools are built-in with the View Holdings table, and allow you to control and understand the price movements of your holdings.
- The Track feature allows you to set alerts for each fund. Based on your instructions you will receive a notification if any of your funds’ NAV exceeds a certain “ceiling” value or falls below a certain “floor” value.
- The “ceiling” value would be the maximum value of NAV at which you may wish to sell your holdings and book timely profits whereas “floor” value would be minimum value of NAV at which you wish to buy cheap more units of the same fund.
- The Chart My Funds feature allows you to view how your funds have performed graphically. You can then choose to chart a benchmark index to compare your portfolio performance versus the market
3. My Other Investments
A unique offering from an investment platform, the My Other Investments option on Fundsupermart.com allows you to consolidate all your investment records at one location for better overview and management. Using the My Other Investments option you can:
- Add in other mutual fund investments
- Add in other stock investments
- Add in any other investments (insurance, deposits, bonds, etc.)
- View a summary of all other investments
Benefits of adding your other investments to your FSM profile!
- FSM tracks the current values of all your other mutual fund and stock investments even if they were not made through the platform. You can view the latest profit/loss position at any time.
- Just like your FSM investments, you can set alerts for your other fund and stock investments so you can be informed when their value exceeds or falls below a certain point.
My Other Mutual Funds
The My Other Mutual Funds page allows you to enter details of the funds that you have invested in outside of the FSM platform.
The My Stocks page allows you to add in your equity holdings.
My Other Investments
You can enter details of your other investments on this page.
Apart from controlling individual movements of your holdings, you need to periodically review your portfolio holistically. Experts suggest you should review your overall portfolio position at least semi-annually from the following perspectives:
- Does any market event/movement warrant a change in your portfolio size?
- Does any market event warrant a change in your asset allocation?
The My Investment module offers you the following two tools to aid your portfolio review:
- Analyze My Portfolio: A holistic view of the cash flow and profit/loss status of your portfolio
- View Holdings by Asset: An overview of the asset allocation in your portfolio
1. Analyze My Portfolio
The Analyze My Portfolio tool shows you:
- The actual to-date performance of your complete FSM portfolio
- The performance of the funds in your portfolio over various periods
The Profit and Loss Snapshot table shows your profit or loss on the portfolio as on current date, taking into consideration all the purchases and sales made from the time you created your FSM portfolio. Use this table in conjunction with the View Holdings table to make timely investment decisions!
The Absolute Funds Performance table shows the performance of the individual funds in your portfolio, as well as your portfolio as a whole, if held over various periods of time.
Tracking historical performance of your holdings over time can help you detect trends and changes in performance.
2. View Holdings by Asset
The View Holdings table shows your holdings listed by fund name by default. However, the table provides an option to view the holdings based on asset type. This allows you to look at the mix of equity, debt and balanced funds in your portfolio and decide in case you need to change your exposure to any asset type.
Keeping track of your transactions usually involves scattered records, photocopies, acknowledgements, email records!!!
Following up on a transaction or trying to remember a particular transaction date can cause a dose of anxiety. FSM maintains a complete track of your transactions – even incomplete ones – apart from sending you regular notifications so that you never have to look too far or too long for transaction records.
- In-Process Purchases and Sales: Records of transactions that are not yet complete
- Historic Transactions: Transactions that are complete and are reflected in your holdings table
1. In-process Purchases and Sales
Purchase transactions are considered in-process until you make payment for the purchase, and thereafter, until the units have been allocated to you by the fund house. Sales transactions are considered in-process until the units have been deducted from your folio by the fund house. These in-process transactions are listed in the Purchases and Sales tables that are part of the View Holdings page.
All purchase transactions initiated by you are listed here as soon as you confirm a Buy transaction. A Payment button appears next to the transaction, allowing you to make payment and complete the Buy transaction. Once the Purchase is complete your Holdings are updated and the record of this transaction moves to the Historic Transactions table.
All sell transactions confirmed by you are listed in the Sales table while they are in process. Once the transaction is completed your Holdings table is updated and this transaction moves to the Historic Transactions table.
No anxious moments with FSM transaction records!
- You never lose details of a transaction that you create and confirm.
- You always have a ready reference for the status of each transaction. Also, all critical transaction-related details are mentioned here, making it easy and hassle free to follow up or query on any transaction.
- You can structure your portfolio before you actually pay for it. You can defer making the payment for a purchase transaction, and make payment directly from the Purchases table at a convenient time.
2. Historic Transactions
All completed Purchase and Sale transactions are listed on the Historic Transactions page.
The My Investments module has been created with three objectives in mind for our users:
- Consolidated information for complete investment portfolio
- Support for decision making – performance analysis, notifications, charting, etc.
- No need to maintain separate records for transactions and holdings
Thus, you can view all your investments and analyse your portfolio on a single platform. We hope this article supports you in fruitful investing!